VPN vs Proxy: what's the difference?
How does the VPN work?
VPNs and proxy servers are similar servers. The main difference between a VPN and a proxy service is where the data is sent to the server.
In VPN services, information needs to be sent and received through the VPN server. After successfully connecting to the VPN, your data is encrypted and passed to the VPN server through "tunneling", so that the information you transmit is unreadable to the interceptor.
Benefits of using a VPN
On the one hand, VPNs can hide your behavior on the Internet. Your real identity is protected by changing the location of your IP address. On the other hand, VPNs protect the information you transmit with encryption, so hackers can't easily steal your information, including your ISP, and nobody can track your data. Stealth means more security.
How does the proxy work?
The proxy server acts as a "middleman," passing data between your device and the proxy server. First, you need to open the proxy server's website and then enter the link you want to visit, and you can browse the web as usual. The proxy works by accessing your target website, loading the content to be accessed, and sending it to your device. Act as a bridge between you and the target site.
Benefits of using proxies
When you do not need to link to the target website directly, the target website does not get your actual IP address but the proxy server's IP address. In this way, you can hide the real location information and access the target website through the proxy server of the corresponding country, making the target website think that you are visiting the corresponding country.
For example, if the Netflix site you want to access is blocked in your country, you can use a proxy server to replace the IP address in another country.
Difference between the VPN and the Proxy
- FreeMany proxy servers are free and adaptable to a variety of devices.
- Visit blocked websitesIf you want to access websites that are blocked in your area, and you don't need to hide your actions on the Internet, then you can choose a proxy server without any hesitation.Proxies are great as a temporary solution if you find a website is blocked and need a quick fix. And because many proxy servers serve as web pages, you can use them on any operating system.
- Speed limitedIf you use the proxy server for a long time, you will find that it becomes slow and unstable.If you want to anonymously access not just a few pages, but a large number of websites and applications, the disadvantage of proxy servers will be obvious.
- Privacy protectVPNs are more suitable for users who want full privacy protection, and when you need to use your local IP for long-term access, your IP address will be protected.
- Safer in-public wi-fiIn an open Wi-Fi environment, a VPN connection provides a more secure network environment when sending personal information or conducting property operations.
- Free version features limitedOf course, VPNs are available in free versions, but for more advanced features, a paid subscription may be required.