VPN vs VPS: what's the difference
VPS (Virtual Private Server) and VPN (Virtual Private Network) are often confused due to their similar acronyms. Both are related to Internet technologies, but each represents a different service type. Simply put, a VPS is a type of website hosting, while a VPN is a virtual private network.
VPS (Virtual Private Server), VPS is a form of web hosting provided by hosting companies. It provides a virtual server environment to host your website. Think of this server as the computer where your website files and data are stored.
How does VPS work?
VPS uses virtualization technology to split a single physical server into multiple virtual servers. Each virtualization service is different. Unlike physical servers, there are not many constraints on virtual servers. By flexibly allocating server resources to meet user needs. There will be no overlap in server resource sharing and server usage.
Generally, VPS is mostly used in business scenarios such as virtual host space, e-commerce platforms, ASP application platforms, data sharing platforms, online game platforms, and database storage. VPS can improve the security of IP. If the website uses an independent IP, it can improve the indexing and weight of search engines and open the SSL confidential data transmission protocol, etc., to better ensure the security of data transmission.
Advantages of VPS
- If you share server space with other websites, your website can suffer when traffic from other websites suddenly increases. Using a VPS can avoid situations where system performance is affected.
- A VPS allows you to scale the number of server resources you can access slowly. You don't have to pay for server resources you don't need.
- Customize your server with higher levels of access and add the advanced functions you need to run your website.
- Ask for dedicated servers without the cost of physical dedicated servers.
- Will receive technical support from hosting service staff.
Disadvantages of VPS
- VPS is more expensive than shared hosting. While it's not as expensive as dedicated hosting, you'll pay a higher monthly fee.
- If another website running the VPS uses excessive physical server resources, your website performance may slow down.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) creates a private and secure network and then extends to the entire network connection. It allows users to remain anonymous online while protecting any data passing through that connection.
How does VPN work?
When a VPN is enabled, your internet traffic goes from your ISP to the VPN server. Then, the data is encrypted and passed to the destination. This helps reduce many of the most common security risks you encounter online.
Advantages of VPN
- Easy to use, can be used without any configuration, and suitable for beginners.
- Bypass any geo-restriction. It will help you to access different types of geo-restricted content from all over the world.
- High-level encryption protects your data.
- The virtual tunnel connection is more stable.
- Bypass ISP throttling and stay anonymous online.
Disadvantages of VPN
- Most VPNs provide the free version, but usually, the paid version has a better experience, so you need to pay a certain fee to enjoy better services.
- The connection speed of a VPN depends on your local network conditions, and if the local network conditions are not good, you may face slow speed problems.
- A VPN connection may be interrupted due to different network parameters. When a VPN is disconnected, you may lose existing anonymity until the VPN is reconnected. Choose a VPN product with a Kill Switch feature that protects your anonymity when disconnected.
VPS is a form of website hosting, while VPN is a service and technology. VPS is mainly used to realize the function of the server, and VPN is primarily used to establish a virtual private line connection.
If you are looking for a server to host your website, VPS will be a suitable choice. It provides the collective benefit of dedicated and shared servers to support the online activities of your business. If you wish to enhance your online privacy and data security while enjoying unlimited and unrestricted access to geo-restricted content, avoiding ISP throttling and downloading torrents. In that case, VPN will be a better choice.